The Book of Genesis
Click me for Questions
note: all scripture is from the NKJV unless noted otherwise
Before we start this weeks study, I have to ask if you did your homework.
If you were not here are forgot what it was, it was to read Revelations Chapters 2-3 where Jesus is talking to each church. Your homework was to read it and to ask the Lord which church you as a person represent.
It can be very revealing when you start looking at yourself and stop putting the blame on others or the church.
Let's get started in chapter 5
Ø Gen 5:1-5 1 This is the book of the genealogy of Adam. In the day that God created man, He made him in the likeness of God. 2 He created them male and female, and blessed them and called them Mankind in the day they were created. 3 And Adam lived one hundred and thirty years, and begot a son in his own likeness, after his image, and named him Seth. 4 After he begot Seth, the days of Adam were eight hundred years; and he had sons and daughters. 5 So all the days that Adam lived were nine hundred and thirty years; and he died.
As you start to read, you notice in verse 2 that God is not only talking about Adam but Eve also.
God says that He "created THEM, blessed THEM, and called THEM Mankind".
Once again confirming that man and woman, husband and wife are one.
Today we have women's rights, women's liberation, women trying to be like or make themselves better then men.
We have men putting down women, using them for their own pleasure rather them seeing them as equal to them. Men wanting their women to be slaves or mothers to them, rather then being one with them.
Men want to take the Lord's word and say, "God says I'm the head of the home" and using it to persuade or get his way in the home.
Yes, man does have the final decision in the home, but that decision should be made after talking it over with your wife and spending time in prayer seeking the Lord.
In the world of dating it's not the same, so don't get them confused.
If you are dating, as a man you are not the head of the woman in a relationship.
Only when the woman makes that commitment to marry you, or you as a woman decide to marry the man and only after you are married do men have that authority over the woman.
If you are dating you should date the Lord's way, not the worlds.
What do I mean?
In the world's dating, there is the physical attraction, and along with that comes a physical relationship.
In the Lord's dating, it's not a physical relationship, but a spiritual relationship.
If the Lord is the center of your relationship, you have to go through the Lord to have a physical relationship.
Adam was 130 years old when Seth was born. How long was Seth born after Abel's death or even after Cain was born?
· Gen 4:1-2 1 Now Adam knew Eve his wife, and she conceived and bore Cain, and said, "I have acquired a man from the LORD. ' 2 Then she bore again, this time his brother Abel. Now Abel was a keeper of sheep, but Cain was a tiller of the ground.
We don't know, in fact this is the first time that an age is given for anyone in the bible.
Why are we now given the ages of men?
Or clue is in verse 1 of chapter 5 "This is the book of the genealogy of Adam"
Before we didn't have a genealogy but rather more of an example of what kind of men where being raised by Cain. We saw this in last week's study noticing just by their names that they were a wild bunch of men.
Also, It's possible that Lamech could have been the last man from Cain's family.
· Gen 4:18 & 23-24 18 To Enoch was born Irad; and Irad begot Mehujael, and Mehujael begot Methushael, and Methushael begot Lamech.
23 Then Lamech said to his wives: "Adah and Zillah, hear my voice; Wives of Lamech, listen to my speech! For I have killed a man for wounding me, Even a young man for hurting me.24 If Cain shall be avenged sevenfold, Then Lamech seventy-sevenfold."
As I read this Lamech thought he had the Lord's protection just like Cain did. But these were his words, not Gods. We do not see the Lord putting this same protection on Lamech.
We do the same kind of thing today. We see the Lord bless someone in a certain way and we think that we should be blessed the same way or even more.
We think, "I'm better then him/her, If God knew what I know about him/her, God would think twice about blessing him/her that way."
We become jealous of God's blessings on another instead of rejoicing with them because God has blessed them.
· Romans 12:15 Rejoice with those who rejoice, and weep with those who weep.
· Romans 12:15 (NLT) When others are happy, be happy with them. If they are sad, share their sorrow.
No, Lamech took God's protection or promise for another man and tried to use it for himself. I believe that he could have been killed.
Let's look ahead in:
· Gen 9:6-7 6 "Whoever sheds man's blood, By man his blood shall be shed; For in the image of God He made man.7 And as for you, be fruitful and multiply; Bring forth abundantly in the earth And multiply in it."
God told Noah the same thing that He said to Adam, "be fruitful and multiply".
I also believe that God taught Adam about murder, just as He instructed Noah.
It's possible that Cain, although hearing this teaching from Adam, did not teach it to his own family. Rather, once again bragging about God's protection as opposed to teaching them of God's grace.
It is good to tell others about God's blessings in your life, but we should also tell them of God's grace in our lives also.
· Eph 2:8 For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God,
3 And Adam lived one hundred and thirty years, and begot a son in his own likeness, after his image, and named him Seth.
Notice that Seth was in Adam's image not Eve's.
This is a good argument against sex changes.
Hebrew Word for likeness is: damah "to be like, resemble, be or act like, liken or compare, devise, balance or ponder."
Seth being in Adam's likeness is to be like Adam, not just physically, but emotional and spiritually.
If you have a son or even as a boy you probably said that you wanted to be like your dad. You didn't mean you wanted to look like him, but have the same traits as him.
If he was a man who loved God, you had that desire to Love God the same way.
If he was a good man, you also wanted to be a good man. If others liked him, you wanted to be liked by others just like dad.
We even go as far as saying as a boy that we want to do the same type of work our dad does.
Seth saw Adam's relationship with God and his love for God, and he wanted to be just like his dad, Adam.
We see this at the end of chapter 4.
· Gen 4:26 And as for Seth, to him also a son was born; and he named him Enosh. Then men began to call on the name of the LORD.
4 After he begot Seth, the days of Adam were eight hundred years; and he had sons and daughters. 5 So all the days that Adam lived were nine hundred and thirty years; and he died.
Since Adam was 130 when Seth was born, then for the next 800 years, Adam continued to have children.
· Gen 5:24 And Enoch walked with God; and he was not, for God took him.
Enoch never died. God took him up to heaven.
There was another man who never died either.
· 2 Kings 2:11 Then it happened, as they continued on and talked, that suddenly a chariot of fire appeared with horses of fire, and separated the two of them; and Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven.
In revelations it speaks of two witnesses.
· Rev 11:3-6 3 "And I will give power to my two witnesses, and they will prophesy one thousand two hundred and sixty days, clothed in sackcloth." 4 These are the two olive trees and the two lampstands standing before the God of the earth. 5 And if anyone wants to harm them, fire proceeds from their mouth and devours their enemies. And if anyone wants to harm them, he must be killed in this manner. 6 These have power to shut heaven, so that no rain falls in the days of their prophecy; and they have power over waters to turn them to blood, and to strike the earth with all plagues, as often as they desire.
Some believe that these two witnesses are Elijah and Moses. Others think that they are Elijah and Enoch. I believe in the later but I could also be persuaded to the former.
I believe in the later because of:
· Heb 9:27 And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgment,
If it is appointed man once to die then Elijah and Enoch were both men who have to die according to this verse. This does happen in:
· Rev 11:7 When they finish their testimony, the beast that ascends out of the bottomless pit will make war against them, overcome them, and kill them.
· Gen 5:3-29 (NLT) 3 When Adam was 130 years old, his son Seth was born, and Seth was the very image of his father. 4 After the birth of Seth, Adam lived another 800 years, and he had other sons and daughters. 5 He died at the age of 930. 6 When Seth was 105 years old, his son Enosh was born. 7 After the birth of Enosh, Seth lived another 807 years, and he had other sons and daughters. 8 He died at the age of 912.
· 9 When Enosh was 90 years old, his son Kenan was born. 10 After the birth of Kenan, Enosh lived another 815 years, and he had other sons and daughters. 11 He died at the age of 905. 12 When Kenan was 70 years old, his son Mahalalel was born. 13 After the birth of Mahalalel, Kenan lived another 840 years, and he had other sons and daughters. 14 He died at the age of 910. 15 When Mahalalel was 65 years old, his son Jared was born. 16 After the birth of Jared, Mahalalel lived 830 years, and he had other sons and daughters. 17 He died at the age of 895. 18 When Jared was 162 years old, his son Enoch was born. 19 After the birth of Enoch, Jared lived another 800 years, and he had other sons and daughters. 20 He died at the age of 962. 21 When Enoch was 65 years old, his son Methuselah was born. 22 After the birth of Methuselah, Enoch lived another 300 years in close fellowship with God, and he had other sons and daughters. 23 Enoch lived 365 years in all. 24 He enjoyed a close relationship with God throughout his life. Then suddenly, he disappeared because God took him. 25 When Methuselah was 187 years old, his son Lamech was born. 26 After the birth of Lamech, Methuselah lived another 782 years, and he had other sons and daughters. 27 He died at the age of 969. 28 When Lamech was 182 years old, his son Noah was born. 29 Lamech named his son Noah, for he said, "He will bring us relief from the painful labor of farming this ground that the LORD has cursed."
When you read genealogy, it can make your head spin trying to figure out, how begot whom.
But each of these names has a meaning.
Let's take a look of the names that we just read about from Adam to Noah and also there meaning.
Adam = Man
Seth = Appointed
Enosh = Mortal
Kenan = Sorrow
Mahalalel = The Blesses God
Jared = Shall come down
Enoch = Teaching
Methuselah = His death shall bring
Lamech = The Despairing
Noah = Rest
So now lets put this all together in a sentence and see what we get.
"Man (is) appointed mortal sorrow; (but) the Blessed God shall come down teaching (that) His death shall bring (the) despairing rest.
So in just a few verses of Genesis, we have the whole gospel.
Showing once again that God had a plan of salvation at the very beginning of time itself.
God also knew about you before time, and even when He created the heavens and the earth.
God knew that you would be going through just what you are going through right now. And with that, He had a plan for you, and how you would praise Him and be a witness to others with what you are going through.
So, don't worry, God is still in control and has you in His hands of protection.
After all, He did make a way of salvation for you before He even created you. If He had that planned out, wouldn't He also have a way of escape planned out also?
1 Chron 29:15 (NLT) We are here for only a moment, visitors and strangers in the land as our ancestors were before us. Our days on earth are like a shadow, gone so soon without a trace.
Heb 13:14 (NLT) For this world is not our home; we are looking forward to our city in heaven, which is yet to come.