The Book of Genesis
Click me for Questions
note: all scripture is from the NKJV unless noted otherwise
· Gen 3:20-21 20 And Adam called his wife's name Eve, because she was the mother of all living. 21 Also for Adam and his wife the LORD God made tunics of skin, and clothed them.
Eve = "life" or "living"
Notice that Adam had now changed his wife's name from Woman to Eve.
· Gen 2:23 And Adam said: "This is now bone of my bones And flesh of my flesh; She shall be called Woman, Because she was taken out of Man."
I don't think he really changed her name, but changed the way he saw her.
Adam identified Eve relating to him as his wife, being one with her.
But now he was relating to her as a mother, and not just his wife.
God made clothes for them out of animal skin. Why animal skin?
First off remember what they were wearing before. Fig leaves. Sticky, prickly, itchy leaves that would eventually dry up and fall apart. Also they were not very warm or practical.
Just imagine if we still wore plant leaves today. It has been very cold at night here, and I don't think that leaves would keep you very warm.
Go knew this and had to prepare proper covering for Adam and Eve.
But it was more then for comfort, or fashion statement God was trying to make here.
· John 8:44 "You are of your father the devil, and the desires of your father you want to do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own resources, for he is a liar and the father of it.
Satan was a murderer. By deceiving Eve, Adam and Eve would now die.
Murder is bloodshed and I believe God was showing Adam and Eve what their sin had done.
The same animals that Adam named, God now had to kill to cover them because of their sin.
This is what sin does. We never think of how it will effect others around us. But it does.
Think of a sin you have done in the past or maybe are struggling through right now. How is it effecting others? What about those you care about, or have given your name to like your wife, or even named, like your children.
Hold onto that thought and we will look at that later.
· Gen 3:22-23 22 Then the LORD God said, "Behold, the man has become like one of Us, to know good and evil. And now, lest he put out his hand and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live forever"-- 23 therefore the LORD God sent him out of the garden of Eden to till the ground from which he was taken.
It say's "to know good and evil", not the ability to do good and evil, as God cannot sin. Us referring to Father God, Son God, and Holy Spirit God.
So to be like God (in the sense He is talking about in verse 22), would refer to a knowledge and not the ability to do good or evil as they desired. We know this because we all sin, even Paul was frustrated with this, just as we do.
· Romans 7:18-20 18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) nothing good dwells; for to will is present with me, but how to perform what is good I do not find. 19 For the good that I will to do, I do not do; but the evil I will not to do, that I practice. 20 Now if I do what I will not to do, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me.
Don't you just hate sin? Don't we all fall on our faces crying out to God because of our sin?
God hears and knows why we fall. It all started 6000 years ago with Adam and his wife Eve.
The fruit of this tree, if consumed, would reveal the difference between moral evil and moral "good." This reference also suggests that, by eating this fruit, man attempted to determine for himself what "good" and evil are.
Remember last week we talked about how Adam and Eve decided that to be naked was a sin. They made that determination, now trying to be like God deciding what was good and bad (or evil).
Also God did not want Adam and Eve to eat from the Tree of Life, because if they did, they would live in their sins forever.
Imagine if Adam and Eve where here right now. They would be 6000 years old. God also knows that our bodies decay and start to sage like it's falling off the bone. 6000 years of that they would look like blobs with their skin just following their bones around.
God was not trying to be mean to Adam and Eve, just really protecting them.
And since they were driven out of the garden, they now had to work for their food as God told them they would as part of their punishment back in verse 17-20
· Gen 3:24 So He drove out the man; and He placed cherubim at the east of the garden of Eden, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to guard the way to the tree of life.
God only put an angel in front of the entrance to the garden, but a flaming sword around tree of life to prevent them from eating from it.
The question comes up as to where the tree is. Wouldn't we see it with the flaming sword around it lighting up the night sky? I'm sure Adam and Eve did every night knowing that the light they saw was the way to eternal life.
Today the same light still shines to remind the world that there is eternal life. And that light is Jesus.
But the world treats Him like He is a flaming sword, impossible to get to.
But then that's just another lie that Satan has brought into this world.
The truth is that Jesus is here wanting all to come to Him and receive eternal life.
But their still is a sword as part of that light.
· Rev 1:16 He had in His right hand seven stars, out of His mouth went a sharp two-edged sword, and His countenance was like the sun shining in its strength.
· Heb 4:12 For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
Back to the original question of where is the tree of life now?
Remember the flood (which we will look at later)? I believe that during the flood God took the tree. And we can see in revelations were it is now.
· Rev 2:7 "He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To him who overcomes I will give to eat from the tree of life, which is in the midst of the Paradise of God." '
Which would be in heaven.
· Gen 4:1-2 1 Now Adam knew Eve his wife, and she conceived and bore Cain, and said, "I have acquired a man from the LORD. ' 2 Then she bore again, this time his brother Abel. Now Abel was a keeper of sheep, but Cain was a tiller of the ground.
Cain = "possession" or "acquire"
Abel = "breath" or "vanity "
· Gen 4:3-8 3 And in the process of time it came to pass that Cain brought an offering of the fruit of the ground to the LORD. 4 Abel also brought of the firstborn of his flock and of their fat. And the LORD respected Abel and his offering, 5 but He did not respect Cain and his offering. And Cain was very angry, and his countenance fell. 6 So the LORD said to Cain, "Why are you angry? And why has your countenance fallen? 7 "If you do well, will you not be accepted? And if you do not do well, sin lies at the door. And its desire is for you, but you should rule over it." 8 Now Cain talked with Abel his brother; and it came to pass, when they were in the field, that Cain rose up against Abel his brother and killed him.
Why didn't God except Cain's offering?
It appears that he was doing right. We even see that in the book of Exodus, that the children of Israel are instructed to bring their first fruits from the harvest.
· Ex 23:16 "and the Feast of Harvest, the firstfruits of your labors which you have sown in the field; and the Feast of Ingathering at the end of the year, when you have gathered in the fruit of your labors from the field.
Do you remember earlier that God made a sacrifice of an animal's life to cover Adam and Eve?
I believe that God taught this to Adam, and Adam taught this to his sons, and through it they should have known that God would require a sacrifice of blood from an animal.
But it was even more then that, and the bible tells us what that is.
· Heb 11:4 By faith Abel offered to God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain, through which he obtained witness that he was righteous, God testifying of his gifts; and through it he being dead still speaks.
· Romans 10:17 So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
Verse 10 in Romans and 4 in Hebrews combined says it all.
It was by faith that Abel brought his offering to the Lord, and the faith he had was in the word of God taught to him by is dad Adam.
But Cain had this same teaching, it's possible he just refused to hear it, or decided that this just wasn't for him and he would rebel against God.
· 1 John 3:10-15 10 In this the children of God and the children of the devil are manifest: Whoever does not practice righteousness is not of God, nor is he who does not love his brother. 11 For this is the message that you heard from the beginning, that we should love one another, 12 not as Cain who was of the wicked one and murdered his brother. And why did he murder him? Because his works were evil and his brother's righteous. 13 Do not marvel, my brethren, if the world hates you. 14 We know that we have passed from death to life, because we love the brethren. He who does not love his brother abides in death. 15 Whoever hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life abiding in him.
It's a case of good son, bad son. Or is it?
We tend to blame the world on the way the children are. Those darn video games they play, or the movies they watch, or even the music they listen to. What about the comic books or it's the teacher's fault.
Maybe they have a chemical imbalance that's causing them to sin (which in some cases is true).
Or they'll outgrow it; it's just a phase they're going through.
Just like Adam and Eve, we as a society are ready to blame someone else, ignoring ourselves as the blame.
Don't get me wrong, I believe that all these things can contribute to a child's upbringing. But it's more then the worlds fault.
People say they believe in a god, but they damn him when something goes wrong.
· James 1:22-25 22 But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves. 23 For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man observing his natural face in a mirror; 24 for he observes himself, goes away, and immediately forgets what kind of man he was. 25 But he who looks into the perfect law of liberty and continues in it, and is not a forgetful hearer but a doer of the work, this one will be blessed in what he does.
Are we like this man, James is talking about? We look into the word of God and see ourselves, or our sins. Then we put it down and forget what we just read, yelling and cussing at our children, tell them to be quite so we can watch Bay Watch.
We say, "No I don't have playboy magazines", but do you watch that kind of stuff on TV, or rent "R" rated movies and even let your kids watch them. We cover their eyes when nudity comes on or their ears when someone says a bad word.
"R" stands for "Rebellion" in the movies because it causes us to rebel from God.
"R" should stand for "Redeemer" because as Christian we now that our redeemer lives in us.
· 1 Cor 6:15 Do you not know that your bodies are members of Christ? Shall I then take the members of Christ and make them members of a harlot? Certainly not!
Change the word "harlot" to "R" rated movie, or maybe the hit TV show that shows murder and sex and drugs, alcohol abuse.
What about the music you listen to? Does it talk about sex or drugs or drinking, or maybe even cheating, what about lust over someone or something?
What are we as Christians exposing ourselves to, and calling ourselves Christians?
What are we exposing our children to?
Good son, Bad son. This is the case here. Adam taught his sons the way of God, but he could not force them to obey God.
Adam now would realize that through his sin, it would bring death, and the true understanding of death, his son, Abel.
You see, Adam realized that God had to kill an animal for his sin, but now this is the first time Adam was without his son Abel. He was gone, never to be seen on this earth again by Adam.
This is the death God was talking about years ago when He said, "for in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die."
Adam was now realizing the consequence of his sin and the true meaning of death in his son Abel.
God warns us ahead of time what will happen if we continue in sin, or even if we start to sin.
But so many times we ignore God, and find out later that He was right.
5 but He did not respect Cain and his offering. And Cain was very angry, and his countenance fell. 6 So the LORD said to Cain, "Why are you angry? And why has your countenance fallen? 7 "If you do well, will you not be accepted? And if you do not do well, sin lies at the door. And its desire is for you, but you should rule over it."
Cain was angry. God wasn't angry with Cain, but he tried to teach Cain as we see in verse 7
Anger is a very dangerous thing to have in your heart.
Jesus even warned about it in:
· Matt 5:21-24 21 "You have heard that it was said to those of old, 'You shall not murder, and whoever murders will be in danger of the judgment.' 22 "But I say to you that whoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment. And whoever says to his brother, 'Raca!' shall be in danger of the council. But whoever says, 'You fool!' shall be in danger of hell fire. 23 "Therefore if you bring your gift to the altar, and there remember that your brother has something against you, 24 "leave your gift there before the altar, and go your way. First be reconciled to your brother, and then come and offer your gift.
· Eph 4:26-27 26 "Be angry, and do not sin": do not let the sun go down on your wrath, 27 nor give place to the devil.
We as Christians are to be examples to others, and for the most part we are.
But what about our loved ones like, our children, or wife or husband? Maybe a brother or sister.
Jesus said not to be angry without a cause. And what cause is justifiable for anger?
Think about the last time you were angry with your spouse, was it justifiable?
Under who's standards, yours or Gods?
Are you having trouble in your prayer time, or maybe you are just struggling as a Christian.
It may be time to confront the person you have, or have had anger towards.
Jesus tells us to be reconciled. Why continue to murder in your heart?
Is it worth all the pain you are going through right now?
Anger breaks up marriages, or causes family problems.
James even talks to us about anger.
· James 4:1-2 1 Where do wars and fights come from among you? Do they not come from your desires for pleasure that war in your members? 2 You lust and do not have. You murder and covet and cannot obtain. You fight and war. Yet you do not have because you do not ask.
Is your anger because you are not getting what you want?
What is so important that we are willing to murder in our heart to get?
This week, close in prayer, think of whom the Lord has been laying on your heart during this study.
Pray for forgiveness and ask the Lord to open the door so you can confront this person, seeking their forgiveness, even if you don't think you were wrong.
Does murder make you right?
It didn't make Cain right!
"You are the salt of the earth. But what good is salt if it has lost its flavor? Can you make it useful again? It will be thrown out and trampled underfoot as worthless.
Matt 5:13 (NLT)