The Book of Genesis
Click me for Questions
note: all scripture is from the NKJV unless noted otherwise
Ø Gen 9:1-3 1 So God blessed Noah and his sons, and said to them: "Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth. 2 "And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be on every beast of the earth, on every bird of the air, on all that move on the earth, and on all the fish of the sea. They are given into your hand. 3 "Every moving thing that lives shall be food for you. I have given you all things, even as the green herbs.
As we start this week in chapter 9 we see a similarity here in verse 1 and in chapter 1
· Gen 1:28 Then God blessed them, and God said to them, "Be fruitful and multiply; fill the earth and subdue it; have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over every living thing that moves on the earth."
In chapter 1 it was God speaking to Adam, but here it's God speaking not only to Noah, but his sons to.
Also in Genesis God was speaking to Adam and Eve, but here God is only speaking to the men. So why only the men?
Remember Eve's punishment for her disobedience to God.
· Gen 3:16 To the woman He said: "I will greatly multiply your sorrow and your conception; In pain you shall bring forth children; Your desire shall be for your husband, And he shall rule over you."
"And he shall rule over you."
Man was now ruler or head of the relationship, and even though, (as we will see that the eating habits were to change), Gods command for woman would not change, nor would it change for man, or the serpent.
Also another similarity we see is in verse 3 and in:
· Gen 1:29-30 29 And God said, "See, I have given you every herb that yields seed which is on the face of all the earth, and every tree whose fruit yields seed; to you it shall be for food. 30 "Also, to every beast of the earth, to every bird of the air, and to everything that creeps on the earth, in which there is life, I have given every green herb for food"; and it was so.
We do have a little difference now, God has now given man His permission to not only eat veggies, but also meat.
Why would God change His mind of what He intended man to eat at the beginning, and now after the flood?
We can only speculate since the Bible doesn't tell us.
But if you think about it, the world had changed. Remember a year ago was the first time it rained. The whole world had changed, including its environment. and with the change of the world would also come the change of man and his needs to survive now in this new environment.
There is another case of God giving permission for man to eat what was mentioned here in Genesis.
· Acts 10:9-16 9 The next day, as they went on their journey and drew near the city, Peter went up on the housetop to pray, about the sixth hour. 10 Then he became very hungry and wanted to eat; but while they made ready, he fell into a trance 11 and saw heaven opened and an object like a great sheet bound at the four corners, descending to him and let down to the earth. 12 In it were all kinds of four-footed animals of the earth, wild beasts, creeping things, and birds of the air. 13 And a voice came to him, "Rise, Peter; kill and eat." 14 But Peter said, "Not so, Lord! For I have never eaten anything common or unclean." 15 And a voice spoke to him again the second time, "What God has cleansed you must not call common." 16 This was done three times. And the object was taken up into heaven again.
God has given Noah the OK to eat anything that was an animal, not just the ones mentioned later on in Exodus and Numbers.
But still there were certain requirements.
Ø Gen 9:4 "But you shall not eat flesh with its life, that is, its blood.
Blood was shed in the beginning, so that there would be life for man.
God Wanted Noah and others, including us to acknowledge that there is life in the blood.
· John 6:53-58 53 Then Jesus said to them, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you have no life in you. 54 "Whoever eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day. 55 "For My flesh is food indeed, and My blood is drink indeed. 56 "He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood abides in Me, and I in him. 57 "As the living Father sent Me, and I live because of the Father, so he who feeds on Me will live because of Me. 58 "This is the bread which came down from heaven--not as your fathers ate the manna, and are dead. He who eats this bread will live forever."
We call this communion and we do this once a month in remembrance of Jesus.
· Luke 22:19-20 19 And He took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, "This is My body which is given for you; do this in remembrance of Me." 20 Likewise He also took the cup after supper, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in My blood, which is shed for you.
Jesus, God in the form of man, was still reminding the disciples and us that there is life in the Blood, but not just ordinary life, but eternal life.
Throughout the Old and the New Testament, the Blood is mentioned, in fact it is mentioned at least 357 times in the bible.
The first time it is mentioned is:
· Gen 4:10 And He said, "What have you done? The voice of your brother's blood cries out to Me from the ground.
And the last time is in:
· Rev 19:13 He was clothed with a robe dipped in blood, and His name is called The Word of God.
If you think about it the first mention and the last are kind of in common with each other.
In Rev. it speaks of Jesus' robe dipped in blood and in Gen. you can bet that there was blood on Abel's clothing.
Abel voice cried out to God from the dust; Jesus cried out to God from the cross.
Abel returned to the dust of the earth; and Jesus was the creator of that dust.
Abel is in Heaven with Jesus.
Abel will be resurrected with us during the rapture; Jesus is the resurrection.
We could go on and on, but what it comes down to is; Are you cleansed by the blood of the Lamb?
Have you excepted Jesus' sacrifice and shedding of His blood for your salvation?
Maybe you have been playing church or even Christian, going to church or a home group to feel accepted or just for something to do.
You don't like being alone and you are willing to learn the talk of a Christian to fit in with them because they are good people that treat you right.
But this won't get you into heaven. If you have learned the ways of the Christian and have heard what the Bible says, then you know the only way to heaven is through Jesus Christ.
I have a friend who pretended to be a Christian for a couple of years because he wanted to be accepted by them. But through the grace of God he is now saved, even now being able to admit it to others with it being part of his testimony.
What is your testimony?
When the final curtain is drawn and you are standing before the Maker can you claim His Son as your Lord and Savior, or just that you wanted to fit in?
Search your heart; ask God to search your heart. If you spend more time talking about your week during church service or a bible study, then ask God to change you.
Have you become a member of a club? Or do you have a relationship with Jesus?
Ø Gen 9:5-6 5 "Surely for your lifeblood I will demand a reckoning; from the hand of every beast I will require it, and from the hand of man. From the hand of every man's brother I will require the life of man.6 "Whoever sheds man's blood, By man his blood shall be shed; For in the image of God He made man.
Maybe if we read verses 5-6 in the NLT this will be easier to understand.
· Gen 9:5-6 (NLT) 5 And murder is forbidden. Animals that kill people must die, and any person who murders must be killed. 6 Yes, you must execute anyone who murders another person, for to kill a person is to kill a living being made in God's image.
Remember the study on Cain and Abel, then Lamech. How God protected Cain, then further down the line Lamech thought he was cool, and that same protection was for him also?
Here God makes it very clear if you murder you will pay.
If an animal murders it too must be killed.
People fight against God's law thinking that they are good people fighting for other people's rights. But God clearly states that murder is a capital punishment meant to be dealt with the same way.
We are all made in God's image and if you oppose God's command then you are opposing God.
· Romans 9:20 (NLT) No, don't say that. Who are you, a mere human being, to criticize God? Should the thing that was created say to the one who made it, "Why have you made me like this?"
It goes even farther then just murder, what about prop. 22 same sex marriages?
The commercials say that if you oppose violence and hatred then vote yes.
But it's not about that at all; it's about people trying to make us except what God says is wrong.
The world says a woman has a right to choose.
Only God has the right to choose who will live and who will die and when.
White witchcraft, white lies, black cats, and black hats.
Just because you put a color on something does not make it right or wrong, good or bad.
If God says something very clearly about what is sin, then don't allow the world to except sin because their arguments sound humane or good.
We don't know the mind of God, but we do know that He is a just God.
Ø Gen 9:7-17 7 And as for you, be fruitful and multiply; Bring forth abundantly in the earth And multiply in it." 8 Then God spoke to Noah and to his sons with him, saying: 9 "And as for Me, behold, I establish My covenant with you and with your descendants after you, 10 "and with every living creature that is with you: the birds, the cattle, and every beast of the earth with you, of all that go out of the ark, every beast of the earth. 11 "Thus I establish My covenant with you: Never again shall all flesh be cut off by the waters of the flood; never again shall there be a flood to destroy the earth." 12 And God said: "This is the sign of the covenant which I make between Me and you, and every living creature that is with you, for perpetual generations: 13 "I set My rainbow in the cloud, and it shall be for the sign of the covenant between Me and the earth. 14 "It shall be, when I bring a cloud over the earth, that the rainbow shall be seen in the cloud; 15 "and I will remember My covenant which is between Me and you and every living creature of all flesh; the waters shall never again become a flood to destroy all flesh. 16 "The rainbow shall be in the cloud, and I will look on it to remember the everlasting covenant between God and every living creature of all flesh that is on the earth." 17 And God said to Noah, "This is the sign of the covenant which I have established between Me and all flesh that is on the earth."
The rainbow, we all love them. But did you know the rainbow was around before God set it in the sky?
· Rev 4:2-3 2 immediately I was in the Spirit; and behold, a throne set in heaven, and One sat on the throne. 3 And He who sat there was like a jasper and a sardius stone in appearance; and there was a rainbow around the throne, in appearance like an emerald.
· Ezek 1:28 Like the appearance of a rainbow in a cloud on a rainy day, so was the appearance of the brightness all around it. This was the appearance of the likeness of the glory of the LORD. So when I saw it, I fell on my face, and I heard a voice of One speaking.
God takes a piece of His glory and sets it in the sky for us to see.
The interesting thing is, the rainbow is formed in the clouds and the rain in the clouds.
When it rains it reminds God not to have it rain so much that it would destroy the earth. But then God doesn't forget, we do. We forget God's promises and God has placed His reminder in the sky for us to see.
It's like someone skywriting in the sky "I love you".
If you think about it, every time you are looking at a rainbow God is looking at it remembering His covenant with all flesh. Your eyes and Gods eyes are looking at the same thing. Too Cool!
But the bad thing is, the world has taken God's promise and perverted it.
I have seen a commercial for candy showing demons and gargoyles and also Gods rainbow and using this to sell candy.
Perverting God's love for His creation to sell candy.
Also the rainbow is a sign in the world of homosexuality.
Talk about perverting God's promise.
Think back on God's ultimate evidence of His love, by allowing the shedding of His Son's blood, and what has the world done with this?
They pervert it with movies about vampires signifying eternal life by vampires drinking blood.
How about something a little more subtle, what about baptism? Some churches teach that a baby must be baptized in order to be saved. When the bible clearly indicates that baptism is the cleansing after receiving Jesus as Lord and savior, and that baptism will not save you, only believing in Jesus as your Lord and Savior.
I am not against baptism at all, I believe that all believers should be baptized as instructed by Jesus.
· Matt 28:19 "Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,
But don't expect to get to heaven and use your baptism as your pass into heaven.
God will not ask if you were baptized when you get there. No, He will ask what you did with His Son Jesus.
Do you have an answer now? Maybe your answer is you cursed His name and rejected Him.
But that doesn't have to be your answer. There is a better way. Just accept Jesus as your Lord and Savior. Believe that He died for your sins and you are forgiven.
I know it may all sound to simple, But that is the way God intended it to be, Simple!
Don't let the world try and tell you that you have to go through all sorts of religious rituals to get to heaven.
Just do it God's way through His Son Jesus. After all, It's God who determines if you go to heaven or not. And the way He determines it is, if you did it His way or not.
Don't put your salvation in the hands of man, but rather put it in the hands of God!
Then finally we have the cross, which everybody wears, but how many people know what it really means?
Maybe next time you see someone wearing one who is not a Christian, ask him or her what it means to them.
Then share with them the true meaning!
What does it mean to you?