The Book of Genesis
Chapter 7:1 - 16
Click me for Questions
note: all scripture is from the NKJV unless noted otherwise
Ø Gen 7:1-6 1 Then the LORD said to Noah, "Come into the ark, you and all your household, because I have seen that you are righteous before Me in this generation. 2 "You shall take with you seven each of every clean animal, a male and his female; two each of animals that are unclean, a male and his female; 3 "also seven each of birds of the air, male and female, to keep the species alive on the face of all the earth. 4 "For after seven more days I will cause it to rain on the earth forty days and forty nights, and I will destroy from the face of the earth all living things that I have made." 5 And Noah did according to all that the LORD commanded him. 6 Noah was six hundred years old when the floodwaters were on the earth.
As we saw before, Noah was not perfect, he just conducted himself in the ways of God and not like the world that was evil.
We see this when we look in
· Gen 6:9(NLT) This is the history of Noah and his family. Noah was a righteous man, the only blameless man living on earth at the time. He consistently followed God's will and enjoyed a close relationship with him.
We see that Noah consistently followed God.
2 "You shall take with you seven each of every clean animal, a male and his female; two each of animals that are unclean, a male and his female; 3 "also seven each of birds of the air, male and female, to keep the species alive on the face of all the earth.
It is believed by the dimensions given for the ark, that there was enough room for 7000 animals in the ark.
The dimensions of the ark are, 450 feet long, 75 feet wide, and 45 feet high. In total volume it would be the amount of about 520 train boxcars.
Also remember the window that was talked about in Gen. 6:16, well it's not a normal window like we would think.
When we think of a window and read it in the NKJV or KJV and read a cubit it sounds like an 18" square window, but as we read other versions, that's not what it's saying.
· Gen 6:16 (Living) Construct a skylight all the way around the ship, eighteen inches below the roof; and make three decks inside the boat--a bottom, middle, and upper deck--and put a door in the side.
Also something interesting about the word "ark" the meaning is:
Hebrew Word: 'aron
Usage Notes: "ark; coffin; chest; box."
I found out that the gopher wood was used to make coffins in Noah's day, and it is believed that the ark was not pointed at the front like a normal boat or ship is but it was a rectangle, and it had no rudder to steer with.
The reason it wasn't pointed and had no rudder was, it was not intended to be navigated by Noah, but rather a big house boat for Noah, his family and the animals. With God being the navigator.
The word ark is also the same word used for the basket that Moses was in.
· Ex 2:1-4 1 And a man of the house of Levi went and took as wife a daughter of Levi. 2 So the woman conceived and bore a son. And when she saw that he was a beautiful child, she hid him three months. 3 But when she could no longer hide him, she took an ark of bulrushes for him, daubed it with asphalt and pitch, put the child in it, and laid it in the reeds by the river's bank. 4 And his sister stood afar off, to know what would be done to him.
Concerning dinosaurs, let's look in the book of Job which is believed to be the oldest book of the bible. Job was believed to be a descendant of Abraham, and even may have been around during the time if Moses.
· Job 41:1,7-9 "Can you draw out Leviathan with a hook, Or snare his tongue with a line which you lower? 7 Can you fill his skin with harpoons, Or his head with fishing spears?8 Lay your hand on him; Remember the battle--Never do it again!9 Indeed, any hope of overcoming him is false; Shall one not be overwhelmed at the sight of him?
· Job 40:15-19 15 "Look now at the behemoth, which I made along with you; He eats grass like an ox.16 See now, his strength is in his hips, And his power is in his stomach muscles.17 He moves his tail like a cedar; The sinews of his thighs are tightly knit.18 His bones are like beams of bronze, His ribs like bars of iron.19 He is the first of the ways of God; Only He who made him can bring near His sword.
Very simple, if dinosaurs were around when Job was alive then dinosaurs were on the ark. And if you say they are to big, have you ever thought that they were baby dinosaurs?
Concerning the seven clean animals, there was a purpose for the seven clean animals.
But once a gain we have to look ahead to see.
· Gen 8:20 Then Noah built an altar to the LORD, and took of every clean animal and of every clean bird, and offered burnt offerings on the altar.
Clean animals were animals that were sacrificed to God which were Rams, Bulls, Lambs, Goats, Turtle doves, and pigeons.
4 "For after seven more days I will cause it to rain on the earth forty days and forty nights, and I will destroy from the face of the earth all living things that I have made." 5 And Noah did according to all that the LORD commanded him. 6 Noah was six hundred years old when the floodwaters were on the earth.
Noah now had seven days to get the animals in the ark.
What would you do if God came to you and said, "in seven more days My Son Jesus will rapture the church."?
Noah had been preaching as he was working for the last 100 years, now the end to his preaching had come to an end.
If Noah had the job of preparing an ark, when did he have time to preach?
Maybe it was his work that represented his faith in God.
In other words the way he worked.
So it is with us. We think we have to stop working and preach the gospel to everyone at work, preventing them from doing their jobs.
That is not a witness
· 1 Thess 4:11-12 11 that you also aspire to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you, 12 that you may walk properly toward those who are outside, and that you may lack nothing.
· 2 Thess 3:10-13 10 For even when we were with you, we commanded you this: If anyone will not work, neither shall he eat. 11 For we hear that there are some who walk among you in a disorderly manner, not working at all, but are busybodies. 12 Now those who are such we command and exhort through our Lord Jesus Christ that they work in quietness and eat their own bread. 13 But as for you, brethren, do not grow weary in doing good.
· Eph 6:5-7 5 Bondservants, be obedient to those who are your masters according to the flesh, with fear and trembling, in sincerity of heart, as to Christ; 6 not with eyeservice, as men-pleasers, but as bondservants of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart, 7 with goodwill doing service, as to the Lord, and not to men,
We think we would have it made if we worked for a Christian company, we could just talk about the Lord all day and get paid for it.
That's not what Paul is saying here, our work should be a witness.
The sad thing is a lot of companies won't hire Christians because they are lazy.
They spend more time preaching and stopping others from doing their work then working.
This is a bad witness, working as unto the Lord is a good witness.
Noah had time to build and ark, gather food, and the animals and still preach the gospel.
His work was a witness and so should ours be.
As we saw a couple weeks ago, all the help Noah had from his family. Now they are gone.
Cainan, Mahalael, Jared, Enoch, Methuselah, and Lamech were all gone.
Lamech died five years prior to the flood, and Methuselah died the year of the flood.
It could be possible that he died at this point, and God was letting Noah know that there were now only seven days left after his death.
Noah was now 600 years old and he started when he was 500 years old, or was he?
· Gen 5:32 And Noah was five hundred years old, and Noah begot Shem, Ham, and Japheth.
We think Noah was 500 because of this verse, but is that what it really say's. If you remember that this was the genealogy of Adam, which gave the ages of when someone was born. It doesn't say that God came to Noah at this time, we just think so because of the order of the chapters.
Now look at:
· Gen 6:3 And the LORD said, "My Spirit shall not strive with man forever, for he is indeed flesh; yet his days shall be one hundred and twenty years."
When you read this you may think that it is talking about how long someone will live. In fact we talked about this last week.
But, could God be saying that their days were numbered, after 120 years there will no longer be anyone left, and that is when the flood will occur.
If this verse was saying that man would only live to be 120, then the rest of the bible wouldn't be true, because we see after the flood men lived longer then 120 years. If you look at Genesis starting in 11:10 which is after the flood, you see genealogy with men living well over 120 years.
Ø Gen 7:7-9 7 So Noah, with his sons, his wife, and his sons' wives, went into the ark because of the waters of the flood. 8 Of clean animals, of animals that are unclean, of birds, and of everything that creeps on the earth, 9 two by two they went into the ark to Noah, male and female, as God had commanded Noah.
Notice verse 9, "they went to Noah. Noah was in the ark and the animals followed him into the ark.
Noah is a type of Christ, we are as the unclean animals, and the children of Israel the clean animals.
The animals are brought in the ark together, both clean and unclean. Just as we will follow Jesus into heaven both the children of Israel and us the Gentiles.
Ø Gen 7:10-12 10 And it came to pass after seven days that the waters of the flood were on the earth. 11 In the six hundredth year of Noah's life, in the second month, the seventeenth day of the month, on that day all the fountains of the great deep were broken up, and the windows of heaven were opened. 12 And the rain was on the earth forty days and forty nights.
Remember in the beginning weeks of our study, where we learned that it had never rained but the water came up from the earth.
· Gen 2:6 but a mist went up from the earth and watered the whole face of the ground.
This is where the flood came into place. Look at verse 11 notice that the waters came up from the earth, along with rain.
Imagine being in your shower with the water going full bore out of the shower head and at the same time water gushing out of the drain coming up rather then going down.
That's sort of what was happening here.
The water was gushing up out of the ground possibly like thousands of old faithfuls and rain was pouring down from the clouds.
Ø Gen 7:13-16 13 On the very same day Noah and Noah's sons, Shem, Ham, and Japheth, and Noah's wife and the three wives of his sons with them, entered the ark-- 14 they and every beast after its kind, all cattle after their kind, every creeping thing that creeps on the earth after its kind, and every bird after its kind, every bird of every sort. 15 And they went into the ark to Noah, two by two, of all flesh in which is the breath of life. 16 So those that entered, male and female of all flesh, went in as God had commanded him; and the LORD shut him in.
Finally the Lord shut them in. God closed the door, and probably sealed it to.
One thing I noticed was in verse 16 at the end it says that God shut him in, not them.
Even when we read this story we only see mention of Noah being just and righteous not his family. I do believe that they to were righteous in a sense, but not as Noah was.
As men we are the protectors of the family, and as Jesus will not allow anything to come between us and Him, so it should be with us and our families, Remember the words of Jesus.
· Mark 10:9 "Therefore what God has joined together, let not man separate."
Men, as the righteous one of the family, what will you allow to come between you and your family?
Gen. 6:19 "And of every living thing of all flesh you shall bring two of every sort into the ark, to keep them alive with you; they shall be male and female.